A despatch is an official written report on state affairs. it can contain instructions for the South Australian government from the Imperial government in London.
We hold many series of despatches, including duplicates of outgoing despatches.
Given the age of these records, most are available for general public access.
These indexes refer to the series of original despatches received in South Australia between 1840-1842, and lists the:
- despatch number
- date, and
- archival reference number
Index to GRG 2/1 Despatches received from the Secretary of State, London, later Governor, 1840 - 1841 - indexing volume 1
Index to GRG 2/1 Despatches received from the Secretary of State, London, later Governor General,1842 - indexing volume 2
This index covers the years 1843 - 1962 and contains the:
- subject description of the despatch, and
- date of the despatch
Index to GRG 56/68/46 - Confidential despatches received from the Secretary of State, London - 1843 - 1962 is an index to the two series:
- GRG 2/13 - Confidential despatches received from the Secretary of State, London, 1843 - 1934
- GRG 2/14 - Confidential despatches and letters sent to the Secretary of State, London and others, 1862 - 1911
Despatches cover a wide range of topics including:
- passenger lists
- shipping, including casualties and shipwrecks
- government towns and townships
- deaths and inquests
- biographical cuttings, and