We do not offer a research service and do not view original records or conduct searches of our catalogue on behalf of a researcher.

You can contact us to ask for support with:

  • Ordering of records for viewing in the Research Centre (bookings compulsory)
  • Sourcing records relevant to Aboriginal family history, particularly regarding family separated because of past government policies
  • Supplying copies of records on receipt of specific references
  • Referrals to responsible agencies for access to restricted records using either access authorisations or freedom of information (FOI)
  • Confirmation of the accuracy of archival references for citation purposes
  • Advice on the copyright status of records in the collection.

Information about our records can be found:

Official records might not be archived until after 15 years or longer, and may be restricted from general public access for certain periods of time.

Records which have not yet been archived or are subject to public access restrictions, require involvement of the responsible agency.

If you are not intending to view original records at the Research Centre contact us before booking an appointment.

Many of the resources in the Research Centre are available online and can be accessed from home or at a local library.

Make sure to Plan Your Visit before booking an appointment at the Research Centre.

We will not be assisting customers face-to-face who arrive at the Research Centre without a booking and you will not be able to enter the Research Centre without a prior booking.

Original records can not be accessed without a prior booking and order request.

If you can not visit the Research Centre, these fee-based research services are available:

Fee-based research services are not associated with or are employees of State Records.

Page last updated: 7 September 2022