State Records has made changes to some of its services. For further information see latest news.
Opening hours and location
State Records' Research Centre is located at 115 Cavan Rd, Gepps Cross, 5094. Opening hours at Gepps Cross are as follows:
- Tuesday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Wednesday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 9:30am - 4:30pm
Please note the Research Centre is closed on public holidays.
Getting to the Research Centre
Free parking is available at our Research Centre.
While there are no buses that travel directly from the CBD to a stop near our Research Centre, if you are willing to connect routes you can reach a bus stop within a minute’s walking distance.
1. Catch any of the following buses from King William St and get off at stop 25, Main North Road, Gepps Cross (it will take approximately 15-20 minutes to walk to State Records’ Research Centre from here).
2. Then catch the 225 of 255F from stop 25, and get off at stop 28, Port Wakefield Road (just outside Stratco). From here it’s just a short walk down Cavan Road to State Records.
Please note, bus 225 only runs every 30mins to an hour, so time your connection to suit.
To travel back to the CBD, reverse the process.
Researchers ordering records for the first time will be asked to register with State Records, and will receive a user ID number and card.
Researchers who have registered online using the catalogue ArchivesSearch, will need to ask for a user ID card when they visit the Research Centre.
Research Centre services
Access to ArchivesSearch along with other guides, finding aids and indexes are available in the Research Centre. State Records staff in the Research Centre can help you by:
- assisting you to search for and order records
- offering search strategies
- explaining how to use ArchivesSearch and other guides, finding aids and indexes
- advising on access restrictions
- referring you to appropriate agencies or organisations
- providing guidance and advice about records that may be relevant to enquiries
- confirming the accuracy of archival references