Opening hours and location
State Records' Research Centre is located at 115 Cavan Rd, Gepps Cross, 5094. Opening hours at Gepps Cross are as follows:
- Tuesday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Wednesday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Second Sunday of the month 10am - 4pm
Christmas closure: the Research Centre will be closed from Tuesday 27 December to Friday 30 December 2016. We will re-open on Tuesday 3 January 2017.
At the Research Centre researchers may view original records held by State Records, view records on microform and check hard copy special list indexes. Reference Officers are also available to assist researchers.
Most of our records are housed onsite at Gepps Cross. Same-day viewing for records is available for orders placed one hour before closing time.
Gepps Cross Research Centre is serviced by a variety of public transport options within short walking distance. For more details visit www.adelaidemetro.com.au
Free Bus Service - City to Gepps Cross
State Records offers a free monthly bus service between the City and the Gepps Cross Research Centre.
The service is available on the first Thursday of every month except public holidays, with pick-up in the City at 10am outside the Convention Centre on North Terrace. The bus returns from Gepps Cross at 3pm and terminates at the Convention Centre. The journey takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.
Bookings close at 11am on the Wednesday prior to the bus service and can be made in advance.
Bookings are essential and can be taken by email srsaPublicAccess@sa.gov.au, phone (08) 8343 6800, or left as voicemail. If you leave a message, please ensure you have received acknowledgement from State Records by 11am on the Wednesday before you intend to travel.
The service is operated by Des’s Mini Vans (www.des.com.au).
Researchers ordering records for the first time will be asked to register with State Records, and will receive a user ID number and card.
Researchers who have registered online using the catalogue ArchivesSearch, will need to ask for a user ID card when they visit the Research Centre.
Services available at the Research Centre
Access to ArchivesSearch along with other guides, finding aids and indexes are available in the Research Centre. State Records staff in the Research Centre can help you by:
- assisting you to search for and order records
- offering search strategies
- explaining how to use ArchivesSearch and other guides, finding aids and indexes
- advising on access restrictions
- referring you to appropriate agencies or organisations
- facilitating access to personal information for rights and entitlement purposes
- providing guidance and advice about records that may be relevant to enquiries
- confirming the accuracy of archival references
Services not provided by State Records
Please note that State Records is unable to offer:
- complex, in-depth or lengthy research
- requests to view, or obtain copies of, original Births Death and Marriage records . Researchers should contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office
- research for student assignments.
Researchers unable to attend our Research Centre, or who wish to perform complex research, will need to engage the services of a professional researcher to act on their behalf.